The dangers of mixing chemicals

 Emmeline | Marketing Emmeline | Product Consultant

                 🕑 2 min read


To put it simply:   Don't mix chemicals

Why? you might ask...

Quite simply, because not all chemical reactions are visible to the human eye, but can be just as dangerous as it would be if it blew up right in front of your face.


Here are some examples of the dangers of mixing cleaning and household chemicals.

Bleach + Acid = Chlorine gas


Used in chemical warfare since World War One (1914-1918), exposure to Chlorine Gas can lead to coughing and other breathing problems as well as burning and watery eyes. Perfect for distracting the enemy from their aim in warfare, exposure to Chlorine gas is likely to have life-long effects.

Identification 
Yellow-green gas with strong odour which drops to lower levels because it is heavier than air.


Bleach + Ammonia = Chloramine


This can cause shortness of breath and chest pain. Cause irritation to nose and throat. Irritate the lungs, causing coughing and/or shortness of breath. Higher exposures can cause a build-up of fluid in the lungs. This is called pulmonary edema and is a medical emergency wtih severe shortness of breath.

Identification
Yellow to clear liquid with a strong odour.


Bleach + Rubbing Alcohol = Chloroform


Used as a anethesetic (sedative for medical purposes) since 1847, this gas can send you 'to sleep' in seconds.

Chloroform is another one of those highly toxic combinations! It can harm the eyes, skin, liver, kidneys, and nervous system. Chloroform can be toxic if inhaled or swallowed. Exposure to chloroform may also cause cancer.

Identification
A colourless liquid that quickly evaporates into gas


Hydrogen peroxide + Acid = Peracetic/ Peroxyacetic acid

(well done if you can pronounce this one!)

Introduced in 1988 to sterilise endoscopy tubing (used for medical endoscopy procedures), this is a highly caustic chemical which is highly corrosive and irritating to;
 - the eyes
 - mucous membranes of the respiratory tract
 - skin

Exposure to lethal concentrations of peracetic acid causes hemorrhage (internal/external bleeding), edema (swelling), and consolidation of the lungs (blocking of the air pipes from mucus, blood, etc.).

Whereas, exposure to nonlethal concentrations cause short-term weight loss or gain, lacrimation (excessive tears), extreme discomfort and irritation to the upper respiratory tract (nose, mouth, throst, voice box, etc.) after exposure of only 3 minutes!

Identification
A colourless liquid with a strong odour


Thank you for reading this article

Click here to find more...